Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Random Sims Musings 7-8-14 Pondering Edition

Now that most of the outrage has died down from NO POOLS?  NO TODDLERS? NO MONEY EA! announcement, let's put things in perspective....yeah, not getting much on that front.

Okay how about this...The Sims Franchise is 14 years old.  There's been 3 computer games.  I'm gonna say probably 10 console games.  A few online versions.  And The Sims Medieval, The Sims Stories games and The Urbz (those only get their own line because they're kind of spin-offs)   There's a lot of veteran players, plenty who have been playing since Day 1 <raises hand> and have tried multiple other versions <raises hand again>.

That is a lot of material to draw from.  I can certainly see the influence of some of the other games that have crept into The Sims 4.  Which is good because with all that history why not pull from it?  And I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to sit down and figure out how to make the next game new and the same.  Have enough of old and new stuff to draw back long time players.  I'm not even going to try to include how to get new players in on this because I have no idea and it hurts my head to figure that out.

Now speaking as a veteran Simmer I think there are certain expectations that I have going into a new version.  Perhaps even things that are taken from granted that would be in the base game.  Stuff that I wouldn't even think twice about how it should or shouldn't be in the game.  Toddlers and pools are on that list.

I feel bad that the Sim Gurus had such hatred thrown their way.  I'm sure they put their all into putting The Sims 4 together.  But a lot of what has been shared so far seems like a step back.  I'm not really caring about the new walk styles but the emotions are intriguing me.  I can see from a gameplay stand where they're going with it.

I'm still having mixed feelings about this whole new game.  Still taking a wait and see stance on it.  For right now I'm still having fun with The Sims 3 and even dabbling again with The Sims 2 (turns out I don't hate it as much as I thought).  There's more stuff that's coming including the CAS demo and an actual game play video.  Maybe that will do stuff to calm the masses.

Go 4th and Sim!

No comments:

Post a Comment